Adverse Weather Procedure
School Closure Procedure due to Bad Weather, information for Parents
Governors and the Headteacher will make every effort to keep the school open and will only take the decision to close when it is in the interests of safety either on site or while travelling to and from school. Other reasons may include the loss of heating and or power during particularly cold weather. Pre-emptive measures will be in place to make the site safe including the gritting of pathways and advice to students and staff about safety around the site.
Therefore students and parents must presume the school is open until confirmed otherwise by the methods explained below.
If students are unable to make it to school they must phone the absence line as early as possible. Students should make every effort to reach school but should not embark upon hazardous and dangerous journeys.
1. Before School
The intention is to inform parents and students as soon as possible to avoid unnecessary journeys and prevent access to the site if a) site cannot be made safe b) travel would be dangerous.
- The Headteacher will decide if the school is to be opened or closed.
If closed then:
- There will be a website message indicating closure
- A text message to parents who can access this service
- You can also visit
//opencheck.atomwide.com which is regularly updated
2. During the School Day
- If weather deteriorates once school has opened an assessment will be made by the Headteacher and Site Manager as soon as possible and preferably before midday.
- If possible, the expectation is that students will travel home independently. Where this is not possible a skeleton staff will remain until all students are off site.
- A text message will be sent to parents via the school app/SMS and put on the website
Updates will be given to staff, parents and students via the school website, advising of the school opening or continued closure
Please ensure you check the website regularly for updates